Celebrating Ten Years
& The Power of Partnership
For the past decade, we’ve been shaping New York’s transition to a green economy that cares for people and the planet.
BORN AT A CRITICAL MOMENT
In 2012, the fracking and nuclear industries were pushing to expand in New York. This would have locked our state into a dirty, expensive, and unjust energy system for decades to come.
In response, a small group of activists in Central New York founded Alliance for a Green Economy — AGREE — with a bold vision for a renewable energy transition built on social and environmental justice. Over the years, AGREE has grown from a small volunteer team gathered around a table in Syracuse to a statewide powerhouse with staff that are beloved by their peers and respected in the halls of government.
We count our successes by the millions
Three Signature Wins
We advocate for ratepayers by standing up to the fossil fuel, nuclear energy, and utility industries.
We’ve learned a lot along the way, and these lessons will continue to inform our work in the next decade:
REGIONAL CLEAN ENERGY HUB
AGREE is thrilled to work with local partners to launch a new Regional Clean Energy Hub here in Central New York. At this one-stop shop for all things clean energy, we will help neighbors, businesses and communities take advantage of the opportunities the transition to clean energy presents, from clean-tech careers to money-saving home energy improvements to rebates for businesses. The Clean Energy Hub will be an amazing platform for building on our years of experience and scaling up our local solutions work. Our Central New York Clean Energy Hub will be one of 12 hubs funded by NYSERDA as the result of a process we co-led with the Energy Democracy Alliance and NYSERDA.
GREEN ECONOMY LIBRARY
Our new Green Economy Library will launch in April 2023! This open-access resource provides a curated list of info-graphics, research papers, and interactive presentations about the just solutions we need to face the climate crisis, and the false solutions peddled by the fossil fuel and nuclear industries. The library guides users through complex topics with clear, accessible language, and focuses on how to build a just, affordable, renewable future.
By co-founding multiple state-wide coalitions, continuously holding workshops across New York, and organizing everywhere we go, we’ve built relationships of solidarity with over 200 organizations and have activated over 10,000 individuals across New York.
AGREE is a proud co-founder and active member of New York Energy Democracy Alliance, the Renewable Heat Now Campaign, the Better Buildings NY Campaign, and the Upgrade NY Collaboration. We also participate actively in the NY Renews Coalition and the NY Public Power Campaign, and have joined many fights across New York wherever people are working to challenge the power of corporate energy companies and shift our energy system to meet our needs while protecting health and the environment.
Here are some of our closest partners:
- Acadia Center
- Affordable Housing Partnership Homeownership Center
- All Our Energy
- Association for Energy Affordability
- Catskill Mountainkeeper
- Center for Social Inclusion
- Citizen Action of New York
- Citizens for Local Power
- Citizens’ Environmental Coalition
- Clean Air Coalition of Western New York
- Climate Reality Project New York State Chapters Coalition
- Climate Solutions Accelerator of the Genesee-Finger Lakes Region
- Coop Power
- Food and Water Action
- For The Many
- Fossil Free Tompkins
- Frack Action
- Good Old Lower East Side (GOLES)
- HeatSmart Tompkins
- Hudson River Sloop Clearwater
- Kinetic Communities Consulting
- Long Island Progressive Coalition
- Metro Justice
- Mothers Out Front
- Mothers Out Front New York
- Network for a Sustainable Tomorrow
- New York Sustainable Business Council
- New Yorkers for Clean Power
- Northwest Bronx Community and Clergy Coalition
- NY Building Decarbonization Coalition
- NY Renews
- NYC 2030 District
- NYC-DSA Ecosocialist Working Group
- Pace Energy and Climate Center
- People United for Sustainable Housing (PUSH) Buffalo
- Rewiring America
- Roosevelt Institute
- Sane Energy Project
- Sierra Club Atlantic Chapter
- Southern Door Community Land Trust
- Sullivan Alliance for Sustainable Development
- Syracuse United Neighbors (SUN)
- WE ACT for Environmental Justice
If you’ve benefited from something AGREE has done, or if you support us in blocking dirty energy expansion and paving the way for a just transition to clean renewables, we invite you to join us! Please consider signing up to become a member of AGREE.
Together, we can implement inclusive solutions that keep New York on the path to a more sustainable, more equitable, and more prosperous future.