Position Description: Alliance for a Green Economy is in search of a full-time Communications Director to spearhead communication strategies and projects to build a public face for AGREE in our local Central New York community as well as across the state. As AGREE has grown, our communications needs have rapidly increased, so we are looking to expand our capacity by hiring for this new position, while our current Director of Communications and Outreach will transition to focus more exclusively on outreach and campaigns.
We seek a dynamic and proactive communicator with a broad range of communications skills who will be responsible for developing and implementing focused, coherent, and compelling communications strategies that advance AGREE’s goals and campaigns and are consistent with our values. Specifically, the Comms Director will be charged with the following three big picture priorities:
- Communications support for ongoing programs/campaigns (proactive)
- Developing and implementing focused, coherent, and compelling communications strategies that advance AGREE’s goals and campaigns.
- Create visually-compelling materials for our campaigns and coalitions
- Develop talking points and media guides
- Rapid-response calls to action for emergent policy crises/opportunities (reactive/time-sensitive)
- Write and distribute press releases/statements, develop calls-to-action and social media posts, plan press conferences, prepare staff for speaking engagements and interviews, speak on behalf of AGREE
- Long term efforts to raise AGREE’s profile and increase our constituent base (brand-building)
- Cultivate media relationships, develop multimedia communications assets, draft op-eds, manage our online presence, and engage with social media.
This position reports to the Deputy Director and will be working closely with all staff to advance this multifaceted work. The Communications Director will be tasked with balancing the communications needs of multiple campaigns, responding to emerging opportunities, and coordinating the staff’s communications activities across multiple campaigns and programs, so executive decision-making skills, excellent judgment, and love for collaboration are a must.
The Communications Coordinator must also be organized, resourceful, detail-oriented, willing to learn new skills, able to work independently, and enthusiastic about AGREE’s mission. Previous communications experience is required, and involvement (in whatever role) in the climate and environmental justice movement is a major plus for this role.
Location: This is a work-from-home position, however the candidate must be based primarily within New York State and be able to periodically travel easily to both Albany and Syracuse for in-person events and staff meetings.
Compensation: This is a salaried position; pay will range from $50,000-$60,000, depending on experience. Benefits include generous vacation, paid leave, and health and dental insurance.
Responsibilities to include:
- Executing a pre-developed “strategic road map” and further developing and refining AGREE’s communications strategies to advance our goals and campaigns
- Coordinate all staff around communications activities, making executive-level decisions around communications strategy, content, and priorities
- Ensure AGREE’s communications consistently reflect our values, are understandable, and are visually compelling
- Manage AGREE’s online presence (including websites) and social media accounts
- Develop new outlets for AGREE’s message
- Write and distribute press releases and develop talking points for our communications and advocacy campaigns in collaboration with staff
- Plan every aspect of press conferences, including alerting media, securing and preparing speakers, attending to logistical details, and ensuring media follow-up
- Prepare staff for speaking engagements and interviews and speak on behalf of AGREE at press conferences and one-on-one with media
- Create materials for our campaigns, programs, and coalitions, including multimedia communications assets in collaboration with staff
- Cultivate media relationships – proactively and consistently engage with reporters and other communications professionals and influencers
- Live tweet events, press conferences, public hearings, and more
- Develop communications assets for fundraising campaigns, donor/funder engagement, and membership drives in collaboration with staff
- Excellent communications skills – especially writing for public consumption (press releases, website copy, e-blasts, talking points, etc)
- Experience with, or willingness to learn, the tools AGREE uses: Action Network, Mailchimp, WordPress, Canva, and Prezi
- Comfort with public speaking and engaging diverse audiences
- Ability to craft a clear, concise message
- Experience with and interest in both traditional and new media and a desire to experiment with new ways of reaching the public
- Website development and maintenance experience
- Ability to manage multiple projects while communicating proactively and leading collaborative projects with the rest of staff
- Graphic design abilities
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, stay organized, to follow through on details
- Demonstrated commitment to social and environmental justice
- Demonstrated commitment to collaborate and build partnerships through active listening and solidarity
How to Apply: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, and the positions will be filled as soon as a qualified candidate is identified. Applicants should submit a letter of application, a resume, and 1-3 work samples using our application form, linked here. The letter of application will be the most important determining document for who will be interviewed for the position. The letter should be 2-5 pages and should summarize relevant experience and skills. It should also discuss why the applicant is enthusiastic to work on this position. Work samples should demonstrate the candidate’s skills in one or more of the areas listed in the job description.
Questions? Contact AGREE’s Deputy Director: email@example.com or (315) 480-1515 x 705